DAY BREAK ILLUSION #1 - - Special Review

| Sunday, July 21, 2013



Anime Vice News Feed





DAY BREAK ILLUSION #1 - - Special Review



Suppose this might be the first magical girl in the post MADOKA
MAGICA
landscape, huh?

The show carries on enough of that show’s cutesy/morbid dichotomy, while
still insisting on a brisker pace out of the gate, that I really can’t help but
see it as some producer or studio’s ‘answer.’ Surely, that’ll stick into plenty
of viewers craw, but I happen to be totally into it. There’s something fun
about various shows weaving together a collective narrative of challenges and
responses for an entire genre. In simpler terms, it holds the same appeal as
hip hop MC’s battling over various songs.

== TEASER ==

I don’t know if I’ll be able to maintain the same… comfortable academic
distance
with the MOE elements of this show as I was able to with MADOKA, but
this pilot is definitely one of the best I’ve seen so far this season, and it’s
the one I’m most eager to follow-up on. Funny thing is, this episode veers very
dangerously close to overstuffed frontloading, and I honestly wasn’t able to follow
everything the happened as clearly as I probably should’ve, but I got enough of
the general gist to be invested in seeing what happens next.

Maybe it’s just a matter of that aforementioned academic distance then? Maybe I just want to see how this show fits together with MADOKA in the greater
magical girl cannon...?

Or maybe it’s because I’ve been fascinated by the symbolist power of
the Tarot ever since ESCAFLOWNE, and it’s just an interest-piquer for me. What do you lunatics think, though? Am I being
far too generous? Is this just a shameless MADOKA rip-off, or is it perhaps the
reconstructionist effort to counter all the deconstructionism that show
performed?

Watch this
episode,
"Dark
Spot of the Sun” here and decide
for yourself.

Now, read my write-ups on other pilots from this season below…








0 comments:

Post a Comment

Next Prev
▲Top▲